Carrots get a bad wrap. People automatically assume you have to eat them raw or if you’re going to cook them that you just are going to boil them. All of which are boring options. Carrot purees are a fun and different take on carrots that allow you to build a fun array of flavors. Carrots lend themselves to a sweet flavor so went down the route of using orange juice and orange zest to create a delicious alternative to something like mashed sweet potatoes or regular potatoes.
Some fun carrot based facts to wow your friends at the next cocktail party (yeah I know that’s not going to happen with carrot facts)
- The precursor to carrots came from….ding ding ding you guessed it, Iran! They were originally cultivated for their leaves and seeds not the root itself.
- Carrots contain a compound falcarinol which acts as its own natural pesticide! It’s also what gives them their bitter flavor (at times)
- If you didn’t already know this one, you fail. The orange color comes from beta carotene, which helps with vision but in some cases it’s been discovered to increase mortality and cancer rates among smokers.
- A myth that carrots help with night vision was generated by the Royal Air Force during World War II to explain why their airmen had such good vision at night.
- Carrots are one of the most economically important crops in the WORLD. 36 million tonnes of carrots are produced each year with the obvious leader in production being…China.
2 Oranges – Juice fully squeezed out.
1 Tsp. Orange Zest
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tsp. Minced Ginger
2 Cups of Diced Carrots
3 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1/2 Tsp. Salt
Saute carrots, butter, orange zest, and ginger in a pan. Now add your orange juice and allow it to reduce slightly.
Add in chicken broth and then cook with the lid on until carrots soften.
Puree the carrots with a blender , if it’s too thick add some of the cooking liquid. Stir in some salt and then serve!
- 2 Oranges - Juice fully squeezed out.
- 1 Tsp. Orange Zest
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tsp. Minced Ginger
- 2 Cups of Diced Carrots
- 3 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- Saute carrots, butter, orange zest, and ginger in a pan. Now add your orange juice and allow it to reduce slightly.
- Add in chicken broth and then cook with the lid on until carrots soften.
- Puree the carrots with a blender , if it's too thick add some of the cooking liquid. Stir in some salt and then serve!